Hello, (Amazing) World!
My name is Sam, I’m a personal development blogger over at smarterandharder.com. And I am one of the latest additions to the Upcycled Adulting/Your Amazing World coaching team!
If you are paying an incredible amount of attention, you may recognize me as a past contributor to the Upcycled Adulting Blog. Which if you did, seriously, good eye.
I cannot say how excited I am to get even more involved with the YAW community, and join the ranks of Cassie’s Amazing team of empowering, motivating, and enlightening coaches.
I’m writing this post to answer the question, “Who are you?” I’ll give you a little bit of a window into me, what I love to work on and talk about, where I think we can make a difference together. And what you can expect from me up ahead in the YAW365 program and beyond!
Where I’m Coming From
Okay, I have never loved answering the “so, what do you do?” question that you inevitably get within a few minutes of meeting someone. Partly because I think it is unhelpful to try to boil someone down to a single job as “who they are”. But also because I do so many things, I never know what to answer!
Depending on when you asked me, I may have said I was a carpenter and electrician, or an engineer in the financial software industry, or a game design student, or that I was writing a book about financial independence.
But throughout all these stages, disparate though they may appear, there have been themes, things that have always been true along the way.
For instance, I’m always creating something, I’m always learning something, and I’m always teaching something. And naturally, I’ve always been obsessed with discovering new ways to improve life.
It took some time, but after enough years I finally started to listen to the story that my life had been telling me. And dove fully into the world of personal development as a calling.
Lately, I’ve been spending the bulk of my time developing and sharing strategies to help people make positive changes in their life, work, and money. My one goal is to give others the same feelings of wonder, excitement, and inspiration that personal development gives me.
Where We’re Going
Much like Cassie and the UA blog, I am something of a generalist in the realm of personal growth / self improvement.
I am not here specifically to help millennial men under 40 living in the United States with 1-2 kids advance in their careers through confidence-building and productivity strategies. Yuck. Just yuck. Don’t let’s be silly.
I am here to help people make their lives a better place to be.
If there is a way to make life more awesome, peaceful, or exciting, then I want to go there. I want to learn that idea and read probably way too much about it so that you don’t have to. I want to try it, and experiment with it. And I want to rant, wild-eyed and heart racing, to my poor, dear family and friends about that idea. Then, after a few deep breaths, I want to share that idea, and start new conversations about it with you.
But if you just love specifics, here are few things I do love to talk about:
- Financial freedom, financial independence, financial super happy fun times, whatever you prefer to call it
- Minimalism, simplicity, and doing more with less
- Positive thinking and practicing the skill of happiness
- Productivity, motivation, and achieving your biggest goals
What I love most of all, and one might even go so far as to call my specialty, is abstracting out the themes that connect these areas together: What aspects of budgeting can help us build a better diet? How can decluttering your closet impact your social life? Why is a raven like a writing desk?
I want to help you build a personal growth mindset that you can take with you and adapt wherever you go.
Some “Just for Fun” Stuff
Aw geez, the dreaded “share something interesting about yourself” part, which I have for some inexplicable reason imposed on myself here. Okay, here goes some stuff *deep breath*:
1) I’m what you might call a good old fashioned type of nerd – I love sci-fi and a bit of fantasy, I am huge into games (video games, board games, a bit of D&D, you name it!) I’m obsessed with cartoons, watch a lot of anime, and I’m also pretty into thrillers/horror movies.
2) I’m also a bit of a theater nerd – many years of my younger life were spent backstage as a carpenter and electrician – even for a couple of shows that went on to Broadway! I still love building things, still wear too much black, and am absolutely obsessed with lighting.
3) I have had the amazing opportunity to road trip all over the United States with my wife and our awesome dog, Sophie, and to date have been to 46/50 US states (I’m coming for you, Alaska)!
4) SPUH. RED. SHEETS. Spreadsheets. I’m not going to explain this any further, you’re either with me or you’re against me on this.
5) I am a big fan of Alice in Wonderland in all its forms, and I have hidden at least 3 Alice quotes in this post; can you find them?